Decades before there was Banksy, there was Blek Le Rat, the French stencil artist who, to some, is considered the godfather of stencil street art. To celebrate his 3 decade long career this winter, a book will be launched at this year's Art Basel Miami Beach and a string of gallery exhibitions throughout the United States and Europe. Get the full scoop, and read our interview w/ Blek from 2008.
le Rat, the “godfather” of stencil graffiti commemorates 30 years
creating art on the streets with the launch of new retrospective from
Art Publishing, Ltd.
Xavier Prou a.k.a. Blek le
Rat, the Parisian-born artist practicing stencil graffiti since the
late 1970’s, will be celebrating his 30-year anniversary of creating art
on the streets later this year with a highly anticipated book launch at
Art Basel Miami Beach 2011 and gallery exhibitions throughout the
United States and Europe. Blek le Rat is one of the most prolific
stencil graffiti artists of his generation, applying his trademark rats
and iconic imagery around the world since New Year’s Eve, 1981. His work
has influenced many of the most celebrated contemporary artists
including the infamously anonymous graffiti artist Banksy, who in 2006
said, “Every time I think I’ve painted something slightly original, I
find out that Blek le Rat has done it as well. Only twenty years
earlier. . .”
retrospective features the artist's private family photos, point and
shoot images of his graffiti artwork from around the world, and
full-color reproductions of his gallery pieces. The book is separated
into two distinct sections: "Street Art" and "Fine Art," both of which
are augmented by the writing of celebrated scholars, critics, experts in
relevant fields, fellow artists, journalists, collectors and
gallerists. Lavishly illustrated with more than 200 images, "Blek le
Rat," the 30 year anniversary retrospective offers the first full
history of this seminal artist's tradition and legacy, featuring:
· Street art images from around the world
· Full-color reproductions of Blek le Rat's fine art
· Never before seen images from the Prou family's private archives
· 30+ essays from celebrated artists, scholars, critics and gallerists from around the world.
· Jonathan LeVine, Jonathan LeVine Gallery
· Jeffrey T. Iverson, Time Magazine
· Carol Kino, regular contributer to New York Times
· Ken Harman, Hi-Fructose
· Russell Howze, author of "Stencil Nation: Graffiti, Community, and Art"
· Carlo McCormick, culture critic, curator and senior editor of Paper Magazine
· Waldemar Januszczak, Britain's most distinguished art critic, writer for Sunday Times
· Jean-David Malat, Opera Gallery
· Justin Giarla, White Walls Gallery
· Anthony Lister, painter and installation artist
. . .and many many more!
Blek le Rat: The 30 Year Anniversary Retrospective
Limited edition: Hardcover, 12.25 x 9.5 in (31.1 x 24.13 cm) 156 pages
Art Publishing Ltd.
is dedicated to providing the discerning consumer and sophisticated
reader with the ultimate experience literary objects d’art. We believe
in the power of art to ignite the imagination, stimulate thought, and
provide entertainment. We strive to provoke though in the arts
community, and support the role of art in our society through our